About the job
Assala Energy is a young and dynamic Oil and Gas Exploration and Production company with an exciting operated asset base in Gabon, firm core values and a keen sense of responsibility to our employees and stakeholders.
We are presently at the final stages in the installation of our new Single Point Mooring Buoy, a 270-ton masterpiece in engineering which will further raise the standards in the region for safe and efficient crude export. This investment has created multiple job opportunities at our Gamba Terminal, with one of the most critical ones being for the role of Marine Pilot.
Working as a Marine Pilot at Assala will mean you have accountability for the offshore crude oil export operations and will oversee the safe lifting of over 30% of Gabon’s total crude production.
Working closely with the Marine Operations Manager, you will be an active contributor to delivering and managing river and maritime logistics in a safe and cost effective manner with a focus on tanker piloting, seagoing services, berthing and loading, maintenance of export facilities as well as input and knowledge transfer in alignment with the maritime operational model.
Some of your key responsibilities will include:
- Ensure all pre-load and operational safety checks are completed diligently and correctly by both the Export Tanker and the Marine Terminal with complete and accurate records being maintained;
- Supervise the berthing and loading of tankers within the limits of the marine MOPO parameters without accidents / incidents, while minimizing potential demurrage;
- Responsible for activities associated with the operation of mooring and export equipment, pre-export and other routine operational checks and inspections of the hose string, mooring equipment, Buoy and associated equipment;
- Maintain operational procedure guides: active contributor to updates, review and implement of procedures for the safe loading and export of crude oil from the Gamba Terminal;
- Maintain experience and knowledge through regular docking operations;
- Ensure that all pre-load documentation is completed and agreed by all parties and manage cargo documentation such as Bill of Loading and the issue and receipt of Notes of Protest
- Maintain the minimum level of demurrage over which the logistics department exercises control;
- Monitor the quantity and quality of cargo, report actual / potential issues to affected parties and possible corrective actions;
- Ensure that freight and demurrage requests are accepted in a timely manner.
- Contribute to budgets related to maritime transport;
- Use knowledge, experience and marine expertise to support the continuous improvement of marine systems / operations and operations in general.
- Hold a valid Class 1 Master Mariner Certificate of Competency compliant with STCW 95 AND Dangerous Cargo Endorsement for liquid petroleum;
- Previous experience working as Chief Officer in charge of Tanker Operations, or specific experience as pilot/captain of loading at an oil terminal;
- Ideally, registered with the Gabonese Marine Marchande;
- Fluency in French and English is highly desirable.
As a key member of our Marine Department, you will benefit from the attractive remuneration package at Assala Gabon in addition to receiving continuous investment in your professional development.
For more information, please don’t hesitate to submit your profile and we will be in touch shortly.