Title: Country Managing Director
Reporting to: Country Board
Location: Burkina Faso
BBOXX is a UK-based Next Generation Utility company providing affordable, reliable, and clean energy solutions to meet off-grid customers’ energy needs. We are fully vertically integrated, controlling every part of our customer experience. With over 300,000 solar home systems (SHS) deployed so far and diversification into clean cooking underway, we have 700+ staff working across five offices in Europe, Asia, and Africa – who are waking up every morning to transform the lives of our customers and to unlock their potential.
We are looking for a Country Managing Director or our new entity, with solid commercial and leadership experience to control and oversee all business operations, people and ventures and drive the strategic growth.
The ideal candidate will be a strategist and a leader able to steer the company to the most profitable direction while also creating and implementing high-quality strategy and business plans at the country-level. Very strong analytical and project management skills will also be essential since the GM is the one expected to deliver results and changes necessary.
The goal is to ensure the company is constantly moving towards fulfilling its short-term and long-term objectives and does not diverge from its strategic guidelines. You will be joining a team of 600+ staff across multiple offices in East Africa, China, UK, France and West Africa.
- Own the country P&L, and ensure that business outcomes (profitability etc) are always achieved
- Manage the finances of the business, and ensure full audit compliance
- Ensure the business complies with company policies and procedures on, among others, anti-bribery, employment, governance
- Oversee relationships with all business partners in-country
- Represent the brand, and maintain quality service by identifying market trends, analyzing and reviewing best customer service practices etc
- Create, own and implement the commercial strategy for the country
- Implement local pricing models based on customer feedback and business performance targets
- Report on company operations in a timely and accurate manner
- Lead the growth and operations of the retail network by implementing the company’s standard operating model, and setting up hubs & retail outlets in line with growth targets
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- 10+ years’ experience in a senior commercial role, preferably within a multinational business (e.g. FMCG, telecoms), with P&L ownership & a track record of delivering consistent bottom-line performance
- Demonstrated assertiveness, a passion for excellence, and a unique ability to build strong relationships internally and externally
- Proven strategic aptitude, with the ability to influence at a senior level internally and externally – Commercial acumen, with strong customer orientation
- Demonstrated track record of leading teams to consistently deliver outperformance
- Very strong analytical, quantitative, problem-solving and project management skills are required
- First class time management and organizational skills, with a strong ability to prioritize
- Prior experience in a reputable strategy consulting firm (e.g. KPMG, PWC, McKinsey) a distinct advantage
- Proficient in English (and ideally French)
- ADAPTABILITY: Flexible, results-oriented, and able to work in a project-driven environment
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT: Multi-tasking, project management and decision-making skills
- INFLUENCE: Strong leadership and influencing skills, with the ability to engage key stakeholder
- ANALYTICAL: Strong analytical and numerical skills, commercial acumen, and MS Excel skills
- CHANGE LEADERSHIP: Demonstrated ability to lead change efforts within an organization
- JUDGEMENT: Good judgment, and the ability to develop credibility across the business