RTI’s International Education division operates with the goal of supporting systemic change to improve learning outcomes. We use evidence-based approaches to strengthen education policy, management, and practice at every level—from classrooms to national ministries—to achieve measurable improvement in education quality.
RTI’s International Education division was just awarded a 5-year, $55M cooperative agreement from USAID/Senegal to improve girls’ and boys’ reading outcomes in kindergarten through second grade by increasing the capacity of the Senegalese education system through institutional support and targeted assistance in nine regions of Senegal. RELIS will work with Senegal’s Ministry of Education to expand bilingual reading instruction to three new local languages—Maninke, Soninke and Diola—through materials development, teacher training, building publisher capacity and strengthening education system management more broadly. The project will have approximately 65 staff based in Dakar and in the regions. RTI is currently seeking applicants for the position of Procurement and Logistics Officer, based in Dakar, Senegal, starting immediately.
The Procurement and Logistics Officer will support program goals across four results areas: (1) Strengthening high-quality reading instruction; (2) Expanding the use of national languages in early grade reading instruction; (3) Developing and implementing a model of French as a Second Language for reading instruction in Grades K-2; and (4) Integration of kindergarten and teacher training institutions into bilingual reading instruction. A major component of these activities will be procurement and delivery of textbooks, workbooks, teachers guides, and reading materials, working closely with the Ministry of Education to align project activities with the national procurement policy. Ensuring timely purchase and delivery of materials will be essential to ensure they are available for the start of the school year or scheduled training activities.
The Procurement and Logistics Officer will work closely with the Finance and Administration manager and a Partnerships and Grants manager and will report to the Deputy Chief of Party (Operations).
- Perform all phases of purchasing to ensure the best value and within required lead times for requirements in Senegal, including analysis of overall budgetary impact for all types of procurement transactions.
- Prepare, issue, and negotiate RFQs for assigned procurements, such as materials, equipment, commodities, and services.
- Take the lead in the preparation and implementation of the annual procurement plan supported with budget and timetables.
- Effectively negotiate with suppliers on a wide variety of commodities and services for the best overall value to the project.
- Understand and ensure compliance with legal guidelines, Federal Export Control (if applicable), contracting principles, sourcing, and price/cost analysis requirements.
- Assist the Home Office Support Team in the preparation of requirements of federally funded cooperative agreements (i.e., consent to subcontract, source and origin waivers, and budget approvals for nonexpendable property).
- Provide leadership for overall property management and inventory control, reports, custody control documents, reconciliations for both expendables and non- expendables according to USAID rules and regulations.
- Ensure adherence to RTI’s standard procurement operating (SOP) procedures for IRS-related commodities-ordering and distribution.
- Develop and submit weekly and monthly reports to the Director of Finance & Administration and COP on procurement for submission to RTI and USAID.
Minimum Required Education, Work Experience, Competencies, Skills, and Abilities
- Master’s degree in business, public administration, or other related fields, with 1 year of experience, or a Bachelor’s degree and 3 years of experience.
- Prior experience working on USAID projects in Senegal (education-sector a plus)
- Knowledge of USAID procurement policies and regulations required.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office and ability to learn specialized software, as needed.
- Proven capacity to work under pressure, meet deadlines, and set priorities.
- High level of personal and professional integrity, motivation to perform at one’s best.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, team player, ability to maintain confidentiality and compliance.
- Strong leadership and decision-making skills.
- Strong reporting and writing skills
- Fluency in French is required. English language skills preferred